Monday, December 19, 2011

‘Hometown Hollywood’ chronicles the film industry in Pittsburgh

Charleroi native John Tiech has written a book chronicling the legacy of the film industry in the "Hollywood of the East”…also known as Pittsburgh!

John Tiech's college experience was a lot like many other students.

He endured being stuck in a class he had no interest in.

For Tiech, it was Alan Natali's "Research for Writers" course at California University of Pennsylvania.

"I didn't think it really appealed to me," Tiech said.

"I was wrong."

Tiech, 29, of Charleroi, is now an adjunct instructor at Westmoreland County Community College, teaching, of all things, English, to about 35 students.

"Some mathematicians have numbers running through their head, well, I have grammar running through mine," Tiech said. "I love teaching it. Being 29, I think I really relate to students."

While Tiech wasn't excited at first about his writer's research class, it showed him he had a passion for research of all types.

That led him to his newest adventure.

Using his love for research and investigation, Tiech has written a book.

"Hometown Hollywood" chronicles the legacy of the film industry in Pittsburgh, which is known as the "Hollywood of the East," by the film industry.

"I just found that there was a lot of information, and wrong information, for that matter, when it came to chronicling what shows and movies were filmed in Pittsburgh," Tiech said. "As far as I know, my book is the first one about a particular city."

Tiech said he conducted a lot of research for his book.

"I found at least 150 movies and shows that were filmed in Pittsburgh, and I'm sure there's a lot more," Tiech said. "It all started in the late 1800s."

Tiech is currently waiting to hear back from a potential publisher for "Hometown Hollywood."

"I never really thought about looking into local university presses," Tiech said. "I sent inquiry letters to both the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University."

Pitt, according to Tiech, didn't seem interested in his inquiry, but he said he should be hearing from someone at Carnegie Mellon in the near future.

"It didn't even seem like the editors at Pitt read my letter," Tiech said. "They said it was going to be six to eight weeks, and then it was going to be a little bit longer. Finally, they sent me a letter saying they weren't interested."

Tiech didn't let the rejection stop him from following up on his work.

"I've been in touch with (Senior Editor) Cynthia Lamb at CMU. She's been nothing but nice and helpful."

Tiech said that Lamb requested a chapter of his book after reading his inquiry letter.

"Hopefully I hear something towards the end of this month or January," Tiech said.

Tiech has had the opportunity to interview many people involved in the Pittsburgh film industry and showed gratitude to former Pittsburgh Press and Tribune-Review movie critic, Ed Blank.

"Without Ed, I wouldn't be at the point I'm at now with the book," Tiech said.

"I've had the opportunity to interview producer Kristi Zea, who has been nominated for an Oscar and I've also interviewed some of the original actors in 'Night of the Living Dead,'" he said.

The "Night of the Living Dead" franchise has proved to be one of the most well-known films of the Pittsburgh region, but it has also proved to hold the most elusive of Tiech's potential interviews.

"I tried and would love to interview George Romero," Tiech sighed. "He is the most elusive man in the world.

"Good luck trying to find him," he laughed.

His passion for research, movies, and history have been instrumental in Tiech's writing process.

"I really enjoy looking through old newspapers," the aspiring writer said. "Researching for the book has been great and enlightening."

"I've gone as far as interviewing local actors and film crews," Tiech said. "A lot of big movies have filmed around here, even in the Mon Valley."

Tiech has interviewed the owner of the house that was used in the "Silence of the Lambs", which filmed in Layton.

He's also interviewed actors Dee Wallace Stone, Tony Todd, and special effects wizard Tom Savini.

"I really wanted to show that Pittsburgh truly has everything the film industry is looking for," Tiech said. "Everything is here, from historical and gothic architecture, to modern skyscrapers."

Buildings, architecture and the people of the surrounding region is what has lured films such as "Striking Distance," and"Robocop," which used Monessen as a locale for filming.

"Pittsburgh had 'The Dark Knight Rises' film here this year," Tiech beamed. "Now, Tom Cruise was here filming. It just shows that Pittsburgh is in high demand in the industry."

Tiech, the son of John and Noreen Tiech, of Charleroi, hopes to prove that when you have an idea and you go for it, you can succeed.

"If anyone out there wants to write a book, first off, write it on something you believe in and enjoy," Tiech said. "I'd say that's the most important thing.

"Secondly, you have to research your publishers."

Tiech stumbled into writing thanks to what he called a mistake.

"I didn't even want that class," he said about taking Research for Writers. "If it wasn't for that class, though, I wouldn't have found my love for research."

Tiech said the Facebook page he created for "Hometown Hollywood" is growing in popularity and he hopes more and more will come to share his passion.

"This region and Pittsburgh have it all," he proclaimed. "I'm glad that I have the opportunity to write about and do something that I enjoy."

Read more: College course leads to surprise career - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/news/s_770598.html#ixzz1gzlQdcJR

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More