Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Interview with Cat Woman stand-in and Pittsburgh local: Amy Staggs

Kate Stoltzfus, of Yinzpiration.com, recently interviewed Amy Staggs, the Pittsburgh local who served as Anne Hathaway’s stand-in for Cat Woman while filming Batman this summer. Amy had some great things to say about the Steel City. Check out the interview below for some great tidbits!

Meet Amy Staggs!

Amy worked as a stand-in for Anne Hathaway (aka Catwoman!) this summer during the Batman shoot. I'd heard of stunt doubles before, but a stand-in was a new concept to me. Here is what I learned: a stand-in is a person who walks through the scene for the actor before filming, for technical and staging purposes like lighting and sound.

It's not just about looking the part... but let's be honest, she does look quite a bit like Ms. Hathaway! Amy has to to be able to think quickly and learn how to interpret a scene from a very small amount of information, often that she has received moments before the shoot begins. That takes some serious talent.

All I have to say is props to Amy for wearing a pleather catsuit during the hot August heat! But seriously, what an opportunity to be a part of such an iconic movie.

When Amy is not prowling around as Catwoman or working on another movie set, she is very active in her neighborhood of Wilkinsburg. As you will find in her interview below, Amy mentioned that she loves Ms. Jean's Southern Cuisine. I had never heard of Ms. Jean's before and now I must try it. I am a huge fan of BBQ and mac 'n cheese!

I hope you enjoy Amy's Q&A.

***
Name:
Amy Staggs

Job title: Film stand-in/photo double

Twitter: @amystaggs

Blog: ...in progress...will let you know when it's up!

Neighborhood you live in: Hamnett Place, Wilkinsburg - across from Garden Dreams Farm - love it here!!!

Coffee Shop Drink of Choice: Square Cafe coffee bar in Regent Square

Current Shampoo Preference: Pantene Brunette Expressions

Why do you choose Pittsburgh as your home?
I'm from the area, went to Chatham, but moved away to pursue a job opportunity in Austin, TX. I could only handle being away (and hearing about Pittsburgh's growing beauty and success) for 3 years. I then (nearly burst) and ran back to the burgh! My hubby and I absolutely love it here. He can make music, I can work in film and special events, we can live comfortably, in a neighborhood we believe in, and dream towards starting a family here.

Who do you spend your time with?
My hubby
Brett Staggs (who plays in The Longtime Darlings with Dough Kochmanski!), our cats (Baba Ganoush and Cous Cous), my folks (Rick and Dody), my brother (Reid) and dear friends (yinz know who yinz are)...

What are your favorite aspects of your job?
The people. Hands down. Every person has a story, and the strange thing about being in a mini camp (which is what working on a set for 6-12 weeks with the same people every day can feel like) is that a lot of people are more likely to open up and share their story, empathize, connect and support one another because of the shared "let's finish this movie and not lose our minds" common goal.

Do you have a soul food?
Ms Jean's Southern Cuisine in Wilkinsburg on Penn. Best fried chicken and mac and cheese.

What are some of your recent personal goals?
To become a mommy
To work as Anne Hathaway's regular stand-in

What are your favorite Pittsburgh restaurants?
Brgr
Ms Jean's Southern Cuisine
ABAY
Green Mango, Regent Square location

Describe your ideal day.
Breakfast with Brett (and David and Angela Seals if they are around)

What is the most memorable live show you have seen in Pittsburgh?
Sigur Ros at the Byham and Damien Rice at Club Café

What do you think Pittsburgh will be like in ten years? What do you love most about the city?
I think it will be bursting (in a good way) with people who decided to stay AND people who discovered the city and decided to call it home. I believe in the intentional communities growing in Pittsburgh, and the influence they will have over future neighborhood growth .

------------------------------

About Yinzpiration
Inspired by the positive energy of the Steel City and a
presentation by Nicole Crimaldi, I've set a goal to interview 100 Pittsburghers. Ms. Crimaldi challenged our class at PodCamp Pittsburgh 5 to have coffee with someone new every week. So, I decided to start an interview blog, and Yinzpiration.com was born (thanks to the help of Nik, my web developer husband). I hope you return to read what I have learned over the next 100 cups of coffee... or tea, my drink of choice. – Kate Stoltzfus.

Read more http://www.yinzpiration.com/content/interview-38-amy-staggs

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More